Tuesday, October 2, 2012

BLOG #3

 Hugo Avila
10/03/2012

Gattaca: Utopia or Dystopia
Gattaca a place in the future where exists genetic engineered, it is free of diseases and where there are constantly trips to the universe, it's definitively an Utopian place. Vincent, the main character of this science-fiction movie, called "Gattaca" by Andrew Niccol, was born as a natural way, that means that his parents didn't use the genetic engineered, because I guess that they couldn't afford it. 
In this "not-too-distant future" as the movie says, there are the technologies to get the best hereditary traits to the children, however I think there are still parents that believe in the natural or traditional way to born or probably they just can't afford to have a kid with genetic engineered. There is no matter of gender, race or religion, though genes are the essential for qualifying in professional employment and live a healthy, better, unhealthy or bad life respectively. It's all a fact of being genetically perfect. So even though there is not discrimination because of external factors, there will be discrimination because of genes. Within Gattaca, the space agency, is everything perfect. There are people that are genetically perfect, a system where everybody are supposed to be happy and where everything is possible, even the travels out-space frequently. 
That's why I believe that Gattaca is a perfect place, definitively a Utopia.

The technological advances for this era are enormously improvements to the humans living.

 So while I was writing my blog last night, a lot of thoughts came to my mind, I was thinking certainly that Gattaca was absolutely an Utopian place. However after I started to write, think and remember the movie, I did start to get confused. Here are my reasons: first, I remember that It was a sad movie, the audio, the images, the people were kind of unhappy. Second, a Utopia is a place where everything is perfect (laws, no diseases, longer lives, equality, no discrimination, freedom, etc). So that was the idea that get me confused, It is really Gattaca an Utopian place where everything goes perfect? or it is a Dystopia place, where there are discrimination and  miserable humans being???

1 comment:

  1. I see your point, by appearance it seems perfect. But like the movie states, there's the genetic discrimination that goes on, so it kills the point of a utopia. It can't be a dystopia because, people are still being born naturally and the society in that movie haven't outlawed it. Even though some may not have the perfect genes, the "normal" people can make a decent living. It can kind of be seen as a dystopia for Vincent because, he wanted to become an astronaut but his genetics prevented him from doing so. He pretty much turns his dystopia into a utopia when he cheated the system by becoming Jerome. I'm really confused too, which is why I think it's neither. It's not perfect, but it's not in utter chaos either.

    ReplyDelete